31.5.04

The Final Countdown

Tonight was the senior tribute at HBR, the dorm I used to live at and still hang out quite a bit. It was such a great evening of giving some honor to a group of guys who I've come to know quite well. Some of these guys I've known since they were junior high students, and the most recent additions to the crew have been here at least two years. One of the guys has been a part of my life for the last six years. Amazing when you think that he is not yet twenty, thus about 1/4 of his life I've been a part of. The evening consisted of a dinner, then a time of sharing stories, feelings, and thoughts about each of the seniors. As I sat there a rush of thoughts and memories came back from the past six years. At times I questioned why I am leaving. Other times I knew that this moment was one of the final steps of my time here. One thought that crossed my mind as I saw them all sitting at the table together was that of the Fellowship of the Ring. I saw this group of strangers brought together for a common purpose. They came from different tribes. Individually they could not accomplish the task at hand, but together they would become a team. Sure on their journey they would have to separate, and unfortunately would fall away. Likewise this group of guys came from different countries to this place for a common goal. And while they have become a team, they are hitting a point where they must separate for a time. And as unfortunately as it might be to think, some might fall away. But for this brief shining moment, they are warriors, they are heroes, they are champions of a cause. They are graduating.



I am proud, honored, privileged, and extremely thankful to have been able to share in their lives. I'm also a better person for what they have shared in my life.

Two of my friends, Bah and Jodi, have written excellent posts about their similar feelings. Check them out.

One final thought- I kid you not, as I got in my car to come home from the dinner, the song on Radio Regenbogen was The Final Countdown by Europe. I had to laugh, as the opening lyric is, "We're leaving together, but still it's farewell." How fitting.

Currently listening to: Europe - cover

No comments: