19.5.04

Home

For those of you who have followed this little blog, you know I've been taking part in a little thing called Blogger Idol. For those new, it is a little thing where every two weeks a topic is tossed out and a community of bloggers post something based on that topic. Well, I missed the last one, so I decided that I better get back up to the plate before I miss a whole month of this. The theme this week is "HOME."

This topic comes at an interesting time in my life. I am just a couple months away from a major move. Currently it is a move into the complete unknown. Many people around me have asked me if I was going to move home. An interesting question. What is home at this point of my life? Most assume that is the town that I grew up, and my parents still live in. But is that really home? Sure I spent part of last years Home Ministry Assignment in that area, but most of my friends and family have moved out of that area. Perhaps home is the cabin out in the middle of nowhere in which I spent many of my summers? I have told several friends that I might end up there living a life that is a mix between Thoreau and the Unibomber, with out that bombing violent streak. Could home be this apartment I sit in now? It is the place where I've lived the longest on my own since college. It is where my books and CD collection is located, not to mention the location of one of the greatest balconies is. It is where my silverware, my cups, and my electronic system is. Might home be the dorm where I lived for two years? I was hanging out there earlier this evening, and I still know where everything is. I know how the various machines work, the neighbors still recognize me, and I always feel welcome there. (I also know where all six alarm clocks set to go off at various times tonight are at in Terrell's room, but that is another story for another time. Payback is sweet.)

Maybe I'm coming again to the conclusion that a few friends of mine have struggled with, that there really is no such thing as home on this planet. Sure we can have places we are familiar with and enjoy hanging out in from time to time. Maybe we are just "aliens and strangers.... longing for a better country--a heavenly one." I do look forward to that heavenly home. But at the same time, it would be nice to know where to ship my stuff while I wait for that home.

Be sure to check out all the other entries for this topic by clicking the little button.
blogger_idol-1.gif

Currently watching: Coverage of the Haru Basho from Osaka, Japan on Eurosport

No comments: