14.6.04

A Day in Basel

Today I spent a good amount of time in Basel, Switzerland, a city I've come to love and appreciate for many reasons. It was a beautiful day, but I think the Swiss have made some deal with God. They get the great weather, in exchange they just have to suffer with all the different dialects of German.

From my day I've got a few observations or stories to share....

1. There is a guy in the United States who has a girlfriend, approximately 18 years of age, 5'7", currently has blonde hair, and is spending some time in Switzerland. If you are that guy, I've got some bad news. You know how you think she might be cheating on you. Well, I don't want to say I saw her walking arm and arm with another guy, but I did. It is amazing what you will over hear when people forget that just because they are in a foreign country that no one will understand them. I learned all that, plus some other personal information I don't feel like sharing.

2. I am on an emotional rollercoaster right now. Last week I said goodbye to the students. Monday we dropped Andrew off at the airport, and later this week a couple other friends depart. I know it is hard to say goodbye, but I thought I had a pretty good control over my emotional outbursts. Until today. See I'm standing in MediaMart listening to some CDs, when the dam began to crack. Unfortunately I didn't have Hans Brinker around to help. The funny thing is that it was while I was listening to Baptism by Lenny Kravitz that it began. It was the song, "The Other Side" that pushed me over the edge, with the lines:
"Where do I live
Where is my wife?
I am alone
What's life worth living for?
Where am I going and what am I looking towards?...
...So father can you tell me again
Father can you tell me again
That I'm livin'
'Til I meet you on that day
On the other side"

After that I put in Wonderful Life by Lara Fabian, and it was all over. I had to get out of the store quick before I subjected to many people to a grown man crying.

3. Before I was alone in the CD store, I was hanging out with three lovely ladies, who let me tag along with them for a while. It has been a while since I have been in that many shoe shops. But it was worth it to hang out with some friends, although two thirds of them will be leaving this week. We did spend some time on the Rhine river. Thanks to Bah leaving me his leftover Swiss change, we were able to take a cruise on the river. Well, actually it was just the ferry across the river, but we splurged and took it across the river twice. Here are a couple photos.


Me and the ladies.


The Rhine River


Well that about covers the events of today. Who knows what tomorrow brings?

Currently listening to: cover

No comments: