31.1.05

Rock, Jazz, and Seoul

Friday night I made my first solo trek to Seoul, Korea. The main reason was to see Sting in concert. For those who have read this blog for a while, know this is not the first time I've seen Sting in a foreign country. In fact this is the third country I've seen him in.

So I took the fast train up to Seoul, and it reminded me how much I love train travel. Upon arriving in Seoul, I proceeded to wander the streets for a while, just taking in all the different sights, sounds, and smells of the city. After a couple hours, and one of the best cream puffs I've ever consumed, I decided to head to Olympic Park to obtain my ticket. I'm glad I arrived early, as it took almost forty minutes and many phone calls for them to find my ticket. In fact they gave me a better ticket than the one I ordered.

As far as the concert goes, Sting puts on quite the show. I highly recommend catching a show when he comes near your place of residence. After the show I went over to Chunnyun where Dominic Miller & Friends put on a show that equaled the Sting show. I sat mesmerized at the front of the stage watching Dominic and Neil Stacey play away on their guitars.

After the show I decided to walk around Seoul for a few hours, as I wait for the first train out in the morning. There were not too many people out on the streets, especially for a city of ten million. I did find some cool spots like an all night shopping mall and a market where you could buy grilled treats from the sea. Although at three in the morning, grilled squid and octopus just doesn't sound good.

By seven on Saturday I was back in bed. And later in the day I was actually giving directions around Seoul to people who have been here for a couple years. All in all, not too bad for a guy who has only spent a couple weeks in Korea, and can only tell Koreans "Thank you" and "Stop farting."

Currently watching:

No comments: