12.6.05

Parental License

As I've worked with kids on three continents and read news stories from even more, I am continually reminded that if people have to have a license or permit to drive, build houses, carry guns, or shoot of fireworks, they should also have one to reproduce. Today I present the case of a child who was killed by a pit bull that his mom owned. In that article, she "feared the family dog," even though in this article she wasn't concerned about the dogs, saying "Never, never. They're not vicious." What is really sad is that she locked her kid in the basement room with a shovel blocking the door. Now in my dream world, that is what you do with the dog if you are concerned about it, not your kid.

Just to help prove my point on parental licenses, I submit yet another story of parenting gone bad. Nothing like teaching your kids about growing up by kicking them out with five dollars each.

So call me crazy if you want, but I've seen my share of messed up kids. Now if you had to have a course on parenting and had to pass a few basic tests on common sense before you were allowed to parent, I think things might be a little better.

No comments: