30.5.05

On Travel

I wrote the following back in November of 2004 (but didn't post it here), but every time I read it I get a smile...
I'm doing a little traveling right now. Traveling is always fun for me, but I'd hate to be one who travels with me, as I never really know where I'm ending up next. This week, I woke up in a state that I wasn't expecting to visit. Kinda freaked me out, but at least I wasn't driving.

To me the journey is almost more important than the destination. There are so many places to uncover and explore if you stop now and then along the journey. If you are dead set on the destination, you might miss a sight, smell, taste, or even major event in between point "A" and "B". I've found some of my favorite spots on this earth by accident.

More times that not, I travel alone. I love the opportunity to change my destination, alter my plans, pick where I lay my weary head, and explore at my own pace. It is nice to not have to have a quorum to determine what food style to consume, what bus to catch, or how much walking is too much walking. Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with others too. But the more I wander, the more particular I am in my travel companions. There are some out there who I wouldn't travel to Walmart with, yet others who I look forward to our next adventure on this tiny little planet.

Currently listening to: A Girl Called Eddy -

No comments: