18.6.06

To Make My Father Proud

It is the story of movies... Boy from the big city moves to the small town. Falls for the farm girl from the outskirts of town. He convinces her to leave the farm and join his dream of changing the world, not knowing what the future will bring.

But this story I tell isn't the product of the film industry, but of real life. It is the story of a young boy, moving with his mother and sister from the heart of Chicago to the small farm town of Havana. It is the tale of a city boy falling for a gal who was literally born on the farm. After high school he took that gal from the farm and headed off to college. He dreamed of teaching. And taught he did. First in the classroom, then as a guidance counselor he made a difference in the lives of many. And he didn't just teach in the classroom. He had four of his own to raise, to mold, to impart what he knew, and then send off to the world. Even retirement didn't slow him down, as he just moved to higher education, and then to international education. Just he couldn't fully take the farm out of the gal, with him you couldn't take the desire to help youth out of him. And now he has another generation to help teach, a new task to add to his list of roles in life.
Dad at Work
On this Father's Day, I consider myself thankful to have the father I do. I do not know where I would be without the guidance and input he has had in my life. It is no mistake that I now sit in the shadow of a school building, spending most of my days working with students. I was shown a model of working with students that never gave up on anyone, no matter how tough the situation was. I only hope that I can live up to the example I was shown.

He also did his best to make sure that his kids had everything they needed to be successful, but not too much they were spoiled. He allowed a zoo to be kept in his home, sometimes I think to his dismay. He allowed his children to roam this world, all with the knowledge that if in any trouble he would be there if he could. (I guess that is why when one child wrecked a car in Italy, one of the first things he did was call home. While he couldn't make it to Italy to help, the two minutes on the phone before the card ran out, help calm the nerves of young explorer.)
Dad at island
Even Superman needed a place to hide... And just like Superman, he found a place in the north to serve as his fortress of solitude. A place he could take his family to retreat from the pressures of work and the busyness of life. There he taught them to enjoy nature, how to gut a fish, and to swim. There the four learned the importance of family, the bonds of being siblings, and that everyone needs somewhere they can call home.
Dad in the kayak
So Dad, if you are reading this. Thanks. You've done well raising the four of us. Just like the rocks you taught us to skip on the like, you've tossed us out into this world to make ripples. And those ripples continue to spread further and further. And just like that foundation we all helped you build a few years ago, you gave each of us a firm foundation of faith, love, and support. It was a honor to be considered a coworker with you on two continents (I'm assuming substitute teaching at MHS counts), and more so proud to call you father.

At the same time today, I can't help but think of some of my students over the years and friends who have not had the same positive experience with a dad. If you would like, you can borrow mine for a while. I'll give you his phone number or email. Although I should warn you, don't listen to all his advice. He told me years ago that I would never need German and that I should take Spanish instead. DANKE! Nunca he vivido en un pais de habla hispana.

Currently listening to: Danny Plett -

No comments: