7.9.03

Visiting Old Friends

I'm going to admit something here that might change some of your opinions of me. On occasion I like to visit the local art museum. See the first Sunday of the month is free entry day to most of the museums in Basel. So on the first Sunday of the month, when I remember, I like to stop in a wander around a museum. At times I go for inspiration, at times just to get lost in a large building, and other times just because I have nothing else to do, besides rush back for my Sunday afternoon nap.

Today while I was walking around the museum, I began to think that after about four years of visiting this same building, some of these paintings are becoming like old friends. I can walk around and recognize some of the faces, like we have met several times. Over on one wall is Picasso's painting of Malers Jacinto Salvado, around the corner and up some steps is the sad gal who Lichtenstein titled, "Hopeless." As I wander the halls there are many familiar scenes, many crowds I've entered in before, many hills I've dreamed of running up. Sure there is always some new and interesting things to check out, but I think I discovered today, I go back many times, just to feel like I belong to a place and a time.

Well, if you follow the link above you can take a really cool virtual tour of the museum. I highly recommend it. In fact, try it and see if you can find "Hopeless", Picasso's "Arlequin assis", and a some of the modern art that makes me wonder why I can't be an artist.

Currently listening to: Charlie Peacock - The Secret of Time

No comments: