28.9.03

Space Elevator: Next Stop, Earth Orbit

So earlier this week I had to speak at a chapel at the elementary school. The topic was
Genesis 11, and the Tower of Babel. As I was preparing, I was reminded of a news report I had read about a space elevator that had just been discussed at a conference. Well, you really should read this article and see what questions you come up with. Some of mine include:
1. Can I really expect in my lifetime a 31 mile skyscaper, let alone a 22,000 mile transportation service attached to it?
2. Will I actually know people out there I want to ship something to? Heck, I barely ever ship anything to my friends across the ocean.
3. Who is really paying for this? And can I come up with some crazy idea like this to get grant money from someone?

I actually never used this as part of my talk, but I do find it interesting in light of the Tower of Babel. Could we have gotten to a point where mankind is no longer scattered by languages, and are going to return to building a tower to the heavens?

Currently listening to: The sound of my fish tank's filter. No music right now.

No comments: