3.12.07

One Day I Have Ham And Bacon

As a news junkie, I usually get a good laugh at some of the odd stories out there. Unfortunately, a report of people stealing seventeen tons of ham made me cringe a little. See, before I started my world traveling ways, I spent many post college days processing meat for Rocke's Meating Haus. On a normal week I would process one to two ton of ham a week. During the holiday season, I saw two to three ton of ham pass before my eyes. To give you an idea, it would take two solid days of work for me just to pump the brine into a ton or two of ham. Then, there was the smoking, slicing and glazing to still be done. If the ham wasn't enough to occupy my time, I also would cure a large amount of turkey breasts as well. Needless to say, by the end of the holiday season, I would pretty much avoid any ham product. It was bad enough that I smelled of ham pretty much all the time, the thought of eating it was unbearable.

But to walk into work and discover that I would be having to redo all that work due to a burglary, I'd be asking for a serious pay increase and a Christmas bonus that wasn't meat related.

Currently listening to: Rick Springfield -

No comments: