22.12.07

Do You Hear What I Hear?

I think I mentioned that I have almost three whole days of Christmas music in my collection. It is a rather random mix of tunes. I've got complete holiday albums by the classics like Vince Guaraldi, John Denver, and the Steamroller. There is also the Twisted Sister, Rick Springfield, Barenaked Ladies, Menudo, Partridge Family and Sufjan Stevens albums to add a new twist on the holiday season. And don't even get me started on over 150 versions of Wham!'s Last Christmas, I discovered via this site. Needless to say I have plenty to help with the holiday cheer, and to save me from tears...

But as I have been listening to these tunes, I have become a little disturbed by some of the lyrics in some popular songs. And I'm not talking about Weird Al's "Christmas At Ground Zero" or "The Night Santa Went Crazy". So if any of you have any insight, let me know what they where thinking when they wrote these:

1. "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" from "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid. Sure they recorded this to raise money and attention to the poor in Africa, but this sort of distracts from the purpose a little?

2. "Making my life long sorrow if you caught pneumonia and died" from "Baby It's Cold Outside" by Frank Loesser. While the guy is pressuring his girlfriend to stay the night, he drops this odd line. Sure she would be dead, but how would that make him feel.

3. "There'll be scary ghost stories" from "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" by Eddie Pola and George Wyle. Did I miss something growing up? I never remember ghost stories as part of the holiday festivities.

Well, there are probably more, but I have got to get back to my Christmas music marathon. Before I go, I recommend this mix of Winter Wonderland. I only wish I had thought of doing that.

Currently listening to: John Denver and the Muppets -

No comments: