24.4.07

If You Don't Die In Glory

I just survived another trip around the sun. To be honest, there were two specific times when I did not think I would be celebrating that simple accomplishment.

Wow. What a year it has been. It could be just the memory starting to fail, but this last year is very well the best year that I have experienced. A brief recap: I had the chance to spend time with some amazing people on three different continents. I traveled thousands of miles by trains, planes, and automobiles, not to mention camels and horses. I watched the sun rise and set over mountains , deserts, big cities and forests. I had conversations with rock stars and orphans. I dined in fancy restaurants and around a campfire by a lake. I entered six countries for the first time, and even return a second time to one of them. Heck, I was even taken into custody by members of a communist military.

The best part is that I love my job, which allows me to work with some great students. Tonight they sang "Happy Birthday," with so much enthusiasm I almost wept. It ties the HBR boys of old for the spot of favorite times I've heard that song directed at me. It was the best part of this birthday.

Here is a little photo collage of some of the highlights of the year. Thanks to all who have played a part in making this a good one.
Here are links to each of the photos: 1. We Drink This Three Times, 2. Hanging Out On Top, 3. Close That Mouth, 4. Shameless Promotion, 5. Sunset At The Fishing Hole, 6. Joey Burns, 7. Super Anter Fistigi, 8. Escaping?, 9. In The Middle Of The Lake, 10. Reading Ephesians In Ephesus, 11. Uggg, Sweaty Pits, 12. The Trip Draws To An End, 13. Takin' Up Too Much Of The Picture, 14. Make A Wish, 15. IMG_7505, 16. From Asia to Europe, 17. View from the ride, 18. The Adventure Begins, 19. Table View, 20. Whatcha taking a photo for?, 21. Aim A Little Higher, 22. My Former Neighbors, 23. Mittlere Brücke, 24. Proving I Was There, 25. Head Trauma, 26. Dive Flag, 27. The RAs, 28. I Don't Want To Smile, 29. We're not alone, 30. Kebap Time, 31. Swiss Drummers, 32. Mustaches, 33. Lions, 34. Riding Off Into The Sunset, 35. Unlicensed Guides, 36. The Long Lonely Walk

Dang this really has been a fun three hundred and sixty five days. It will be tough to top this one, but I am going to try.

Currently listening to: David Wilcox - "Glory"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, mate! Know it's a bit late but I have trouble remembering my own, let alone anyone else's.

After the year you have had, no wonder you've chosen relaxation as your theme at PhotoFriday!