20.5.07

On The Road Again

I might not have had the best paying jobs in my life, but the vacation time has not been bad. I have been fortunate to have jobs that have allowed some good travel time during the summer months. The only downside is that my wanderlust is always wanting crazy adventures, fancy destinations, and epic journeys. Last year I was able to take a train from Beijing To Moscow with two good friends, and then spend a few weeks in Europe visiting friends. The question is how does one top that adventure?

I've decided the answer is a great American road trip. In the spirit of the The Muppet Movie, National Lampoon's Vacation, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, and Long Way Round, I am hoping for some crazy adventures while seeing the country. The journey will be from Los Angeles, California to Marquette, Michigan, only stopping to visit friends and random road side attractions. Thanks to a good friend, I will be adding about four thousand miles to the odometer of a 1989 Toyota Camry wagon. There are no guarantees that the car will even make it, but my return flight to Korea departs from Marquette. That alone adds to the adventure that is ahead.

The Rough Itinerary:(Google Map of the trip)

June 25 - Arrive in Los Angeles, CA
June 30 - San Louis Obispo, CA
July 1 - Hume Lake, CA
July 3 - Fly to Ontario, CA and begin the drive east.
July 5 - Austin or College Station, TX
July 9 - Dallas, TX
July 11 - Siloam Springs, AR
July 14 - Springfield, MO
July 16 - Newton, KS
July 18 - Kansas City, KS or MO - still debating
July 21 - St. Louis, MO
July 22 - Morton, IL
July 24 - Janesville, WI
July 25 - Republic, MI
July 27 - Marquette, MI

So why should you care? A large part of this trip to reconnect with some friends. And since most of the people who read this blog are friends, that probably means you. If you are in or between any of these cities, drop me a comment or email and hopefully we can meet up. If you are on Facebook, there is a group dedicated to this trip, where you can be kept up to date. Speaking of date, if you are a single gal on the route, perhaps you can get a free meal out of the deal by filling out this application. Oh, and if anyone wants to go along for part of the trip, let me know. There is room in the wagon.

Well, I looking forward to seeing some of you out there on the open highway. Stories will be told, good times will be had, and memories will be made.

Currently listening to: Johnny Cash -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't look like I'm going to get to see you this trip...sadness. However, after August 1, I'll be living near NYC...so if you ever pass through make sure and plan a day with me!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the visit again. good times! i wanna hear the cop story again when you tell people in Korea.