23.12.04

Cheap Sleep

Well folks, the theme of Blogger Idol this week is "travel." (I missed last week's theme of First Dates, but then again it has been so long that I've forgotten any.

Getting back to this week's theme.... fans of The Terminal might enjoy this little story from my past. It actually happened in the same airport where true story that inspired the Terminal occured. See, I had been a complete idiot when I booked my flight home from Europe once, and instead of having an hour layover, I ended up with a thirteen hour layover in the Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris. (Tip #1: Always check to see if A.M. or P.M. are listed on the tickets) As I'm a cheap traveler, I decided to find a nice comfortable spot on the floor, hopefully in the corner. First I decided to scope out the whole airport, partially to kill some time and grow weary. After finding a decent spot that I felt was safe, I settled in for some sleep. So, there I was sleeping on a floor of an airport, and doing a pretty decent job of it. That was until some freak gal woke me up, as she decided to lay down perpendicular to me about three feet away. When she realized I was awake, she began to talk to me. This didn't go over too well, as I was tired, rudely awoken, and she was the cause of it. I managed to get back to sleep, for a while, until I was kicked by said annoying American gal. She again tried to talk to me. I don't remember saying much, other than answering her questions about my work shirt with some response that it was from my work-release program. All I could think of is why would some girl decide that of all the spots in a large airport to rest, the best one is next to a guy who looks like this:

Well to make a eight hour story short, morning finally came. I woke up with about three hours before my flight, so I decided to head over to the check-in counter. As I was gathering up my stuff, the gal had the nerve to see if I wanted to go grab breakfast with her. Yea, you've annoyed me all night, woken me up sevearl times, and possibly even bruised me, and you think I want to sit at McDonalds with you.

While I'm on the subject of free lodging, here are a couple other spots where I've slept for free: St. James Park - London, near the Trocadero in Paris, and several times at Stansted Airport.

Check out Blogger Idol for other's takes on travel or to post your own.

Currently watching:

No comments: