20.5.08

Wave Euro Hands And Euro Feet

Can it be a year already? Time flies when you are throwing clocks out the window. And no, I am not talking about a revolution around the sun since the end of the school year. I am posting about the annual Eurovision Song Contest. In my opinion, it could be the best competition between the nations. Forget the Olypmics, and even the World Baseball Classic, or even the World Cup Speling Be.

For those who do not know about Eurovision, it is a competition open to all countries in the European Broadcasting Union, thus it contains groups technically outside of the European maps I studied as a child. Each country sends a representative to woo the crowd in song. Most countries have a run off to determine the artist, and even the song that will be performed.

This year, forty-three countries are battling for the top spot. Tonight will be the first of two semi-final rounds. Wednesday the second one will take place. The top nine, plus a wild card from each round will join France, Germany, Spain, Serbia, and the United Kingdom in the final on May 24th.

If you are like me, which I highly doubt you are, you can not wait until then to hear the bands. Luckily, you can listen to all the participants now. I spent some time last night doing just that, and have picked my favorites. When the top twenty five are announced, I will make my official picks for the top five, but right now I am betting Belarus, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, Spain, Turkey, and possibly Finland will make it into the finals.

Currently listening to: Laura Cantrell -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eurovision time already, huh? Time really does fly. So who are your favorites this year?