One of my pet peeves is when people post their "best of the year" lists before the year ends. It is like they have given hope for anything appearing in the last few weeks that might amaze them. Had I made my list before the year was out, I would have failed to included what was possibly the best concert I saw this year. So, now that the books have been cooked on 2007, I can give you my favorites of the year in the following categories:
Books: (read for the first time this year)
1. Travels With Charley - John Steinbeck
2. Under The Big Top - Bruce Feiler
3. Walk On - Steve Stockman
4. The Culturally Savvy Christian - Dick Staub
5. OverClocked - Cory Doctorow (yeah, I am shocked too Dave - just proves I need to read more)
Movies: (Seen on the big screen)
2. Into The Wild
4. Bourne Ultimatum
5. Live Free Or Die Hard
Although I didn't see it in the theater, I must give an honorable mention to Hot Fuzz.
1. The Frames with Sunflower Caravan - Dublin, Ireland (video)
2. Calexico - Fukuoka, Japan
3. Eric Clapton - Seoul, Korea
4. Scorpions - Seoul, Korea
5. Boney M. - Taejon, Korea (video)
Worst Concert - Beach Boys - Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Music: This is a tough one, as I obtained a good amount thanks to emusic.com.
1. Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - "Once (Music from the Motion Picture)"
2. Over The Rhine - "The Trumpet Child"
3. Romantica - "America"
4. Athlete - "Beyond the Neighbourhood"
5. Dolores O'Riordan - "Are You Listening?"
Honorable mention - Michael Hearst - "Songs for Ice Cream Trucks," Jackson Waters - "Come Undone," Ken Oak Band - "Vienna to Venice," 林凡 (Freya) - "Love Songs," and The Perishers - "Victorious."
And now we begin working on next year's list. Seeing that the Frames concert was a New Year's Eve show, I got a feeling it might make next year's list as well. Especially with the only concert prospects at this point being Bjork, Celine Dion, Helloween and James Blunt. Although, if they were to appear at the same time, I might be interested. Just imagine that collaboration.